Check out all the flavors of a Desi mom’s cooking with both traditional and modern recipes.
An original ABCD recipe perfected in America:
Ingredients: 3 cans of tuna with all liquid drained, 2 large potatoes (or 3 medium sized ones) boiled and mashed, 1 tsp cumin, 1/3- 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp coriander, 2/3 tbs garlic paste, 2/3 tbs ginger paste, 1 1/2 tbs salt, oil, 2-3 green chili peppers and 1/2 onion diced , 1 egg, breadcrumbs, optional: minced cilantro leaves
- Boil and mash potatoes
- Drain all the liquid from canned tuna
- Mix the following ingredients in a large bowl: tuna, potatoes, cumin, chili powder, coriander, garlic paste, ginger paste, salt, chili peppers, diced onions and cilantro leaves
- Take approximately 2 inches of a round ball and flatten into an oval/round shape. Repeat with the rest of the mixture
- Whisk one egg in a separate small bowl
- Fill another bowl with breadcrumbs
- Coat each kabob with the eggwash and then cover with breadcrumbs
- Heat a pan with oil for frying (or use any deep fryer)
- Fry the kabobs until the breadcrumbs turn a deep brown
- Drain on plate covered with paper towels to absorb excess oil
- Ready to serve as a side dish or appetizer.
Keeping with the season check out:
Ingredients: A quarter cut ripe pumpkin, 1/2 tsp cumin, chili powder for dusting, 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1/3 tbs garlic paste, 2/3 tbs ginger paste, 1/2 tbs salt, 1 tsp coriander, oil
- Cut pumpin into slices 1 1/2-2 inches wide
- Slice along the edges of the pumpkin like a crinkle cut
- Heat the skillet with a light covering of oil
- Place the pumpkin slices on the skillet
- Reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the pumpkin is tender
- The dish is ready when easily pierced with a fork
- Serve with rice and your choice of other curried meats and veggies.